Thursday 20 October 2011

Celebrate - It's today!!


An upbeat one to get the day going. I love the sentiment of this song, We're here and that's enough reason to celebrate. It's a shame that this clip is so fuzzy but it is worth celebrating this performance.
This song is from the fabulous show 'Mame' by the wonderful Jerry Herman. It opened on Broadway in 1966 with Angela Lansbury in the title role. This clip is from the 1983 revival.
Unfortunately the film version made the mistake of casting a 'name' rather than the person best for the role (a mistake modern musical film producers still seem to be making - come on guys, have confidence in your show and cast some talent) I wish that recordings were made of all original cast productions for sale after the show has closed because we have lost so many wonderful performances over the years.
I was lucky enough to meet Jerry Herman once after a review show of his work in London, a brief moment that I treasure. I really wish that one day I will be able to see Angela Lansbury perform live but Broadway is just that little bit too far away.
I thoroughly recommend buying the complete soundtrack of Mame if you love a 'feelgood' musical.

No comments:

Post a Comment