Tuesday 25 October 2011

I haven't really had any song call out to me over the last few days so I have decided to post my all time favourite song.


This beautiful song is from the musical 'Company' by Stephen Sondheim and in the show it is actually a man's number. Bernadette Peters is, in my humble opinion, the true owner of this song though. Her version is heartbreaking in its longing, she makes you feel the loneliness behind the song. I was lucky enough to see her perform this number at the 'Hey Mr Producer' concert and she is so powerful live. It is such a treat that both that concert and her own solo concert are available to buy on CD and DVD.
I am including another version for comparison here as I find it quite interesting that this actress has managed to take a song of loneliness and longing and somehow made it seem like one of hope as if she is talking about an existing love.

I shall be posting more performances from Helen Sjöholm soon as the second of my all time favourite songs is a perfomance from her and truly wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment